At Newmont’s operations in Nevada, construction began in 2015 on a paste plant that will take tailings waste, remove much of the moisture, and add other materials, such as cement, ash and lime, to create a paste-like material that can be pumped into previously mined areas in the Leeville underground mine.
Paste technology is recognized as industry best practice due to benefits that include:
- Provides a structurally strong backfill material that improves stability and reduces mining hazards in the underground environment
- Recycles tailings from old surface storage facilities, where they are managed as a waste stream, and turns them into a feedstock for stabilizing underground workings
- Provides a permanent and economical disposition method for fly ash generated at our TS Power Plant, which provides power to our northern Nevada operations
- Reduces capital and land use needs associated with the expanding surface tailings storage facilities of ongoing ore processing
- Recycles process water from the paste plant back to the treatment plant for ongoing ore processing
The plant is expected to begin paste pumping in early 2016.