Newmont Mining Corporation (“Newmont”) is one of the world’s leading gold producers and an industry leader in safety and sustainability. The Company was founded in 1921 and has been publicly traded since 1925. Headquartered in Greenwood Village, Colorado, Newmont has approximately 28,000 employees and contractors who work at operations and development projects in seven countries around the world. Newmont is the only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index. In 2007, the Company became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index and has remained on the prestigious index every year since.
Newmont’s 100 percent-owned operating assets include the Boddington and Tanami mines in Australia; Ahafo and Akyem in Ghana; Waihi in New Zealand; and three operating complexes (Carlin, Phoenix and Twin Creeks) in Nevada.
Joint venture operations include KCGM in Australia (50 percent); Batu Hijau in Indonesia (effective economic interest of 48.50 percent); and Yanacocha (51.35 percent) and La Zanja (46.94 percent) in Peru.
Newmont’s optimized project and exploration pipeline consists of promising growth projects including the Correnso underground mine in New Zealand, the Merian project in Suriname (with 25 percent ownership by the government of Suriname) and the Turf Vent Shaft project in Nevada.
- Australia – Boddington and Tanami operations and KCGM joint venture
- Ghana – Ahafo and Akyem operations
- Indonesia – Batu Hijau mine operated by PT Newmont Nusa Tenggara
- New Zealand – Waihi operations
- Peru – Yanacocha operations and the Conga development project
- Suriname – the Merian development project
- United States – three operating complexes (Carlin, Phoenix and Twin Creeks) and the Turf Vent Shaft project in Nevada
Our commitment to build a more successful and sustainable business is reflected in our Purpose, Mission, Vision and Values, which we refreshed in 2014. These articulate the path we will follow into the future and how we will conduct business along the way.
To create value and improve lives through sustainable and responsible mining.
We transform mineral resources into shared value for our stakeholders and lead the industry in shareholder returns, safety, social responsibility and environmental stewardship.
We will be recognized and respected for exceptional economic, social and environmental performance.
- Safety – We take care of our safety, health and wellness by recognizing, assessing and managing risk, and choosing safer behaviors at work and home to reach our goal of zero harm.
- Integrity – We behave ethically and respect each other and the customs, cultures and laws wherever we operate.
- Sustainability – We serve as a catalyst for local economic development through transparent and respectful stakeholder engagement and as responsible stewards of the environment.
- Responsibility – We deliver on our commitments, demonstrate leadership and have the courage to speak up and challenge the status quo.
- Inclusion – We create an inclusive environment where employees have the opportunity to contribute, develop and work together to deliver our strategy.
Guiding our approach to creating value for our stakeholders is our overall business strategy, the goal of which is to achieve first quartile shareholder returns through:
- Securing the gold franchise – by continuing to improve costs and efficiency while maintaining steady gold production and industry leading safety performance
- Strengthening the portfolio – by funding our best projects while maintaining positive free cash flow, and continuing to optimize our portfolio and growth options
- Enabling the strategy – by developing the capabilities and systems that create competitive advantage and effectively communicating our value proposition to employees, investors and other stakeholders
Five strategic pillars mark our path to capture gold sector leadership and give us the means to invest in and grow our business:
- Health and safety – continue the journey to zero harm and strengthen health and wellness programs
- Operational excellence – continue to improve technical standards, costs, earnings and our portfolio
- Growth – pursue our most promising projects, exploration prospects and M&A opportunities
- People – develop Newmont employees and leaders as well as a more diverse talent pipeline
- Sustainability and external relations – maintain strong social and environmental performance and improve water management, concurrent reclamation and stakeholder engagement